I suppose I should count myself lucky in that I am still so amazed every time I read about someone preying on the most vulnerable and disenfranchised in our society. The current immigration raids, local and state police enforcement of immigration law and subsequent racial profiling, all add to the growing anxiety and terror (yes, terror) in our communities. Unfortunately, there are those who seek to benefit from this fear of law enforcement. I've spoken with individuals (and groups) about the quickly eroding trust in police which deters immigrants (documented and undocumented) from reporting crime and volunteering as witnesses. This, in turn, makes them easier targets for criminals who know that the fear of being deported is often greater than the fear of being robbed. The following article is about a Massachusetts man impersonating a police officer in order to steal and intimidate immigrants. A more despicable version of this would be an actual police officer stealing from immigrants and threatening deportation.
Man accused in cop ruse to prey on immigrants
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Easy Targets
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment